Contact Profile Insurance on 02089313306


Motor Insurance - Green Cards 
If a ‘no deal’ does happen, Green Cards will be required under EU regulations as proof of insurance for those wishing to drive their vehicle to the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA), Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland, Andorra, Serbia or Switzerland. Those who travel without one may be breaking the law and could face a fine and have their vehicle impounded. 
It is important that you take a physical copy with you when you travel as digital copies are not currently acceptable. If you arrive at the border without a physical Green Card on plain green paper, you will not be allowed to drive in that country. 
Do I need to apply for a Green Card now? 
At present, if you have a motor insurance policy that allows you to drive within the EU, this will remain unchanged until the UK leaves the EU. So, if you’re planning a trip that is completed beforehand, nothing changes for you. 
Depending on your insurance company, it may take up to 4 weeks for your card to arrive, so we would advise you to get in touch with us as soon as you can if you are planning to drive your car abroad. 
Can I still use my UK driving licence whilst driving abroad? 
No. After Brexit you will need to have an International Driving Permit (IDP) in some EU countries if an alternative agreement is not reached between the UK Government and the European Union. 
There are two types of IDP required by EU countries, each governed by a separate United Nations convention. 
1949 IDP - Malta, Spain, Cyprus and Ireland. This is valid for 12 months. Please note that in January 2019, the UK Government advised that an IDP would not be required to drive in Ireland post-Brexit. 
1968 IDP - Travel through other EU countries plus Norway & Switzerland. Valid for three years, or until the expiry of your driving licence (whichever is sooner). 
IDPs cost £5.50 and are available from the Post Office. You will need proof of ID, current driving licence and a passport photo. 
You must remember to take your UK driving licence with you when driving in the EU as you will need this as well as the relevant IDP. 
Designed and created by it'seeze
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings